Monday, August 27, 2012

What I Eat (Vegan)

Some of you have asked for examples of what I like to eat on a daily basis, either to give you ideas of what are healthy portions or maybe because you're considering going vegan yourself! I made a list of what I'm eating lately with portion sizes.

Keep in mind: I am NOT a dietician! I hope this gives you guys ideas of meals or snack though, and maybe you'll branch out and try something new!

Breakfast
 
- 2 pc toast (Veganic or Dave's Killer Bread) w/ 2 TB almond/peanut butter, and a fruit
- vegan cereal w/ 1cup almond/soy/rice milk and banana
- oatmeal (1/2cup dry) made with almond/soy-rice milk, and brown sugar, slivered almonds, banana (or other fruit)
- smoothie: almond/soy/rice milk+vegan protein powder+frozen blueberries (sub other fruit)+1-2 TB ground flax seed (opt)+handful of spinach (opt)
- 1cup soy yogurt+fruit+1/2cup granola
- bagel (Dave's Killer) w/ tofutti vegan cream cheese OR almond butter and jam, with 1pc fruit
 
Lunch
 
- salad: spinach,red pepper, tomato, boca burger, 1/2 avocado, balsamic+olive oil (base of a salad:leafy greens+2-3veggies+protein+fats)
 other salad add ins: black beans, corn, chickpeas, dried figs, olives, cucumber, mandarin oranges, apples, walnuts, almonds
- vegan soup (ex: lentil, blackbean, corn chowder, vegetable) w/ pc toasted bread OR pita chips
- 2 servings pita chips, 1/4c hummus, veggies, pc of fruit
- sandwich: 2pc bread, veggie burger, sliced cucumber, alfalfa sprouts, and avocado OR hummus, and fruit
 
Dinner
 
- hot potato w/ salsa and boca burger crumbled, and fruit
- sweet potato w/ brown sugar, vegan sausage (Tofurky), steamed broccoli
- brown rice w/ steamed veggies, soy sauce, boca burger
- chickpea quinoa pilaf (ask me for recipe)
- quinoa with blackbeans, corn and salsa
- Tofu stir fry: veggies of choice, firm tofu marinated in yoshidas sauce (or sauce of choice),over 1c brown rice
 
Snacks (2-3per day OR MORE if needed)
 
- 1/4cup dry roasted edamame
- 1/4 almonds or mixed nuts
- pc of fruit (apple, banana, orange, peach, strawberries, etc) (opt- add 1-2 TB almond/peanut butter with apple or banana)
- soy yogurt (opt with fruit)
- popcorn (plain or kettle)
- protein vegan bar (Zing brand)
- hot chocolate made with soy/almond/rice milk
- 2 raspberry fig bars (found @ Huckleberries or other health food stores)
- saltine crackers w/ 1-2 TB peanut/almond butter
- Larabar
- veggies with hummus
- soy latte
 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I love hummus even though my friends think I am crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with hummus! I always have a large jar of homemade hummus in the fridge, and I use it as a salad dressing with a drizzle of lemon juice. If you are interested in some healthy vegan and gluten-free recipes I would love for you to check out my recipe blog, gluten-free-vegan-girl.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you a lot for this post. I'm transitioning into a vegan lifestyle right now; I find it really helps with my bulimia. It simultaneously restricts and expands my food variety. A lot of my 'bad' food (that which triggers a binge-purge cycle) consist out of dairy products (like pastries, but also creamy puddings etc) while stuff like nuts, avocado and olives used to be 'fear food' for me. Being vegan helps me to overcome those fear foods while simultaneously eliminating the food that's likely to trigger a binge (not to mention I feel less ethical guilt when eating like this). Win-win situation, right? But the problem is that I often am at loss for nice vegan dishes, and retreat to crappy junk food instead. So, BOTTOM LINE: thank you for making a helpful, clear and concise list with ideas!
    I've been following you for a while now and it's really nice to read (or hear) updates on your life. I wish you all the best, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete