Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Answering Questions :)


Do you ever just sit down and watch TV without any other distractions? Or am I the only one who DOESN'T do this? I can't seem to ever just say "I'm going to watch TV" and ONLY watch TV - I'm always on the computer/iPod, or doing homework at the same time.


I can never sit and watch something without moving around or doing something else simultaneously. It drives my brother mad! He wants my full attention to be on the movie but I get so restless. I think its common among eating disordered people though. It was so funny inpatient when we would try to watch a movie. We never could make it through one and we were all doing other things while watching so in the end, only one or two people were actually still watching the movie.


I have EDNOS. Why is EDNOS not as "out there" and common like anorexia and bulimia? U know what I'm saying?


I think EDNOS is probably more common than anorexia and bulimia. It just means the person doesn't strictly meet all the requirements for an anorexia or bulimia diagnosis. Most ED professionals find these "must-meet-requirements-rule" ridiculous and thankfully, things are starting to change. For instance, to be diagnosed as anorexic, one of the required symptoms was loss of a period. If you met every single other symptom but still had your period, even severely underweight, than you were diagnosed as EDNOS instead of anorexia. That specific req. symptom for diagnosis has changed, so I feel like we're heading in the right direction. Another example: I wasn't diagnosed as Bulimic because my binges were only a few hundred calories, and not thousands. Therefore, I was diagnosed as the purging subtype of Anorexia. Confusing, huh?


Are you a clumsy person?


I run into things and trip a lot, so I suppose I am. It's mostly because my mind in somewhere else more important than walking around a pole. Of course, after I run into the pole, whatever I'm thinking about becomes less important ;)


In my opinion, people who evaluate how "sick" you are based on your weight, BMI (wink!), treatment history, DSM diagnosis, etc. do NOT understand the illness or have experience in that area. thoughts? any good comparisons about this to a physical illness?


If you're speaking about professionals who use those things to evaluate how sick you are- YES, I don't think they get it at all. If an eating disordered person is comparing and evaluating how sick other ED girls are based on BMI, weight, treatment history, etc., that's wrong too. That's the eating disorder talking 100%


What kind of food do you eat in recovery on a daily basis? What about before recovery?


I LOVE toast with butter and jam! I have it every morning! I also love a baked sweet potato with butter and brown sugar, and cottage cheese with pita chips. Those are foods I'd never allow myself when I was in my eating disorder. Before recovery, I'd eat apples, egg whites, and LOTS of coffee and diet coke. Yeah, that's pretty much it. Kind of depressing to think about actually.



No comments:

Post a Comment